Friday, March 16, 2012

Have you geocached?

Hello all!

so.. my aunt becky told my mom and I about this thing called geocaching. It is basically a hide-n-seek game that is universal. What you do is go on this website: http://www.geocaching.com/. You will have to create an account.. (don't worry, I don't think you need anything but the basic account), after that you just type in your postal code, and it will show you geocaches that are near your town or in your town. Click on a specific one listed, and it will give you coordinates for a GPS. At this point you need an actual gps, or a gps on your phone. Punch in the coordinates to said gps, and hunt away.

The geocache website gives you different specifics such as how big the geocache is, and maybe the owner or "placer" of that geocache will give a hint to exactly where to look after you're near the location. Size hint will be anywhere from micro to large I believe. Micro is about the size of a film canister. It also lists the difficulty of the find. Another helpful thing is to look for how many smileys you see at the end of the page. That explains how many people have found it.

Anyway, after you find the geocache you log it on the website by clicking the log a find button on each geocache.

If you get confused, on the geocache website, there is a "geocache 101" page that helped me a lot.

My mom and I tried to do geocaching, but there was nothing close enough that would be worthy of a first time try. I think we are going to try again soon! I plan to take pictures of sites as we find them. I think after we find our first one, it will be a lot easier. Anyway, I think if would be fun, to go on a vacation and be like "oh, let's go look for a geocache!!!" (say in like... africa) keep in mind this a UNIVERSAL game!

Geocache away young followers!

Live Confidently.

4 comments:

  1. After you said you were going I checking out the site...but did you also see that all the State Parks have them too? I think that would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured the state parks would just because I think the point is to place the geocaches at meaningful places, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done a few blog posts on geocaching. It's fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since this post, my mom and myself have done it several times.. We have found a few! It's a great way to get out and bike (or run!)

      I hope your summer running is going great!

      Delete

Drop me a line!